County Home

Non-Custodial Parent Rights and Responsibilities

As the non-custodial parent, you have a right to:

  • To have genetic testing performed if legal paternity has not been established.
  • To have paternity established.
  • Be notified of any formal action being taken on your case.
  • Confidentiality of all information about your case.
  • Request a modification review of your support order (Administrative Adjustment Review).
  • Request a Mistake-of-Fact (MOF) hearing.
  • Request a child support payment history or other information that pertains to you from CSEA.
  • Request a state hearing if the CSEA denied your request for paternity services, or denied your request to modify or terminate the support order.

As the non-custodial parent, you are responsible for:

  • Paying your child support regularly. This includes making support payments directly to the Ohio Child Support Payment Central (CSPC) when your first wage withholding is being set up with your employer, or when you change jobs and a wage withholding is being set up with your new employer. Since it can take several weeks for your employer to start making payroll deductions, it is your responsibility to send payments directly to CSPC until payments start coming out of your check.
  • Do not make direct payments to the obligee, as by law direct payments from obligor to oblige are considered a gift.
  • Enrolling the child in a health insurance plan if ordered to do so by the CSEA or the court.
  • Informing the agency of all medical insurance enrollment information and any changes to your child's health insurance coverage.
  • Maintaining a current address with the Child Support Enforcement Agency at all times. You are required by law to notify the CSEA of your change of address. Filing a change of address with the U.S. Post Office does not change your address with the CSEA.
  • Informing the CSEA when you change jobs and providing your new employer's complete address and contact information.

The custodial parent is required by law to inform the Child Support Enforcement Agency of important changes that may affect your case. However, it is in your best interest to notify the CSEA if your child:

  • Reaches 18 years of age.
  • Is adopted by someone else or legally placed in the custody of another person.
  • Graduates from or no longer attends high school.
  • Joins the armed forces.
  • Marries before age 18.
  • No longer lives with the other parent.
  • Dies.
  • You also need to notify the CSEA if you and the other parent begin or resume living together or marry or remarry one another.

You will need to provide proof of these changes in your case. All proof must contain your child's name. Some acceptable documents are a high school diploma, marriage license, military enlistment document, death certificate, or adoption papers.

The Child Support Enforcement Agency tracks your child support case through the Support Enforcement Tracking System (SETS). The computer system will continue to charge child support until we have an order that allows us to stop child support. By law, you are required to notify the Child Support Enforcement Agency of changes affecting your case.

Help for Non-Custodial Parents

If I'm paying my child support, but the other party is not letting me have visitation, can I stop paying my child support?

No! If visitation was ordered, you will need to engage a private attorney to file a motion against the other party who would be in contempt of the visitation order. The CSEA cannot do this for you, or on your behalf, since the agency has no authority under Ohio statutes to address visitation issues. A less costly way to resolve parenting issues has recently been adopted in Franklin County. Visitation mediation is available for parents who already have court-ordered visitation, but who are experiencing difficulties in this area.

Visitation mediation is available for both divorced parents and parents who were never married to each other. This type of mediation is a process that gives parents an opportunity to resolve visitation issues before getting a magistrate or a judge involved. Either parent may request visitation mediation without filing for legal proceedings. Additionally, a magistrate or judge may refer pending contempt cases for this mediation process. Contempt motions are costly, time consuming, and often increase problems between parents. This service provides parents with an opportunity to address visitation issues in a timely manner. At present, there is no charge for visitation mediation. If you would like more information about visitation mediation (called parenting time mediation by the Court), please call (614) 525-5872.

John O'Grady President
Marilyn Brown
Kevin L. Boyce