County Home

Custodial Parent Rights and Responsibilities

As the custodial parent, you have a right to:

  • Establish legal paternity.
  • Financial support from the other parent for minor children who live with you.
  • Medical insurance for your children as determined by the court order.
  • Any and all services offered by the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA).
  • Be informed about major actions the CSEA or the courts take on your case.
  • Confidentiality of all information about your case, unless you agree in writing to allow the CSEA to release information.
  • Request a modification review (Administrative Adjustment Review) of your support order.
  • Request a child support payment history or any other information that pertains to you.
  • Request a state hearing if you disagree with an action or lack of action on your case.

You are responsible for:

  • Maintaining a current address with the CSEA. You are required by law to inform the CSEA of a change of address and to maintain a current address at all times. Be sure to include your case number or social security number on all correspondence
  • Providing all information the CSEA needs to work your case, such as current telephone number, name change, etc.
  • Notifying the CSEA of any important change affecting your case such as:
    • Your child reaches age 18 and is no longer attending high school full time, or has graduated.
    • Your child reaches age 19, regardless of school status.
    • Someone else adopts your child or custody of your child changes.
    • Your child joins the armed forces.
    • Your child marries before age 18.
    • Your child no longer lives with you.
    • Your child dies.
    • You and the other parent begin or resume living together or remarry.
    • The court takes action on your case. The court and the CSEA are separate entities, and the court does not always notify us of its actions, especially if you are working with a private attorney.
  • Your child becomes eligible as a dependent of the obligor for income through the Social Security Administration or the Veteran's Administration.
  • Enrolling the child in a health insurance plan if ordered to do so by the CSEA or the court.
  • Inform the CSEA of all health insurance enrollment information and changes in your child's health insurance coverage.

You will need to provide proof of these changes in your case. All proof must contain your child's name. Proof the CSEA can accept are a high school diploma or program from graduation ceremonies, marriage license, military enlistment document, death certificate, adoption papers, custody entry from the court.

You are also responsible for returning any child support paid to you to which you are not entitled. This could be support that was paid directly to you instead of to Child Support Payment Central (CSPC) or money sent to you in error by CSPC. When overpayments or errors occur, the CSEA will inform you in writing and enter into an agreement for you to repay the overpayment.

The CSEA tracks your child support case through the Support Enforcement Tracking System (SETS). The computer will continue to charge child support until a court order is issued to allow a change or stop. By law, you are required to notify the CSEA of changes affecting your case.

John O'Grady President
Marilyn Brown
Kevin L. Boyce